THE NEW BECK WILL EVISCERATE YOU

Friends, it’s time we took this blog into the place that it was created to cover. That is, ROCK ‘N ROLL. I’ve been biting my tongue on the whole music thing, mostly because I wanted to hang back for next week’s record release by one of the most Deplorably Beautiful bands in the land, 20 Minute Loop, but after hearing this new Beck track, Chemtrails, I just can’t fucking resist. Don’t ask me how I got it, just click play and take it all in:





I mean, FUCK ME. Not since the Sea Change has a Beck hit me in the gut this hard and good. Without knowing the details on this track, I can only assume that’s our friend Jason Falkner on bass, going all La’ Femme De Argent on our asses/ears while Joey Waronker smacks the fuck out of a time-warped Ludwig kit off in the back corner of the room. That right there would be enough to melt anyone’s brain, right? RIGHT. But then BECK, the musical mind-fuck of our generation, throws out the most hauntingly reverb-drenched falsetto vocal line I’ve heard in soooo long, atop bone-shaking single-note, one-beat piano strikes--KERRRRRPOW!—chills up my spine. But wait, there’s more. In my book, the song achieves perfect status right about 4:06 when, from out of the diminishing bits of what seems to be song’s final fleeting notes, the band rises up and tears the main chord progression, along with the remnants of my previously melted innards, to shreds.

GO BECK, GO. I hope this record makes you a gazillion dollars because you deserve every goddamn penny.

1 comment:

The Enforcer said...

Oh good GOD, I totally agree with you on this one. The first time I heard this track, I would have given my left arm to have it wash over me just one more time. Simply fantastic.

Nice post, Kev. Glad to have found your blog =)